Vancouver Island Farms & Acreage // 250-746-6621 //

This website has been created to make the search for Agricultural property in the Vancouver Island Real Estate area easier. We have added information for out of Province and out of Canada buyers to answer questions they may have. Committed to going the extra mile and ensuring that all of your needs are successfully met in a professional and honest manner. Check out the FAQ section for info that is unique to the BC farm buying experience. Contact me with questions and I will post the question and answer.


Changes being made to the Agricultural Land Commission

The Agricultural Land Commission is going through its first changes since it inception in 1974. The province is being split into 2 different zones. Zone 1 takes in about 10% of the land mass but a large percentage of the agricultural production and encompass' the lower mainland delta, Vancouver Island and the Okanagan. The other 90% is considered zone 2 where the regulations are being somewhat relaxed. The government says this is a modernization of the regulations around the use and preservation of farm land.


" In zone 1, where land is in greater demand and there are development and population pressures, ALC decisions will continue to be made on the original principle of preserving agricultural land. In zone 2, where  growing seasons are shorter and there are lower value crops, ALC decisions will now, in addition to the original principle, include additional considerations to provide farmers with more flexibility to support their farming operations" the government said in a satement. The amendments"don't at all change the independent decision making process of the commission. The commission remains an independent body." 


It would appear that the changes in zone 2 are a reflection of the reality that farmers need more flexibility for "value added farming activities" in order to remain as farmers. It is my understanding that the flexibilty will depend on the lands capability for agricultural production. With oil and gas exploration at a fever pitch we may see more land being available for oil pumping.


Zone 1 lands are left unchanged and the rules will likely be tightened somewhat although there are sufficient restrictions now in my opinion. 






No comments

Post Your Comment:

* indicates required fields.
Your Name: *
Your email will not be published
Your Email: *
Comment: *
Please type the text as it appears above:
Start Searching Listings

Search for listings now with interactive maps allowing you to get pin point results

Buying and Selling

How can I help guide you through the largest financial transaction most people make.

Free Home Evaluation

What's your farm worth? Using market trends and comparables, let us find out!

MLS® property information is provided under copyright© by the Vancouver Island Real Estate Board and Victoria Real Estate Board. The information is from sources deemed reliable, but should not be relied upon without independent verification.